Jesus and Mary College (JMC) is a premiere female-only college affiliated to the University of Delhi located in the embassy area of Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. JMC is well known both for its academics and the on-going cultural activities in the categories of drama, dance, photography, music and so on. JMC offers several student societies that cater to a range of such interests which are as follows:
- NSS: The Motto of NSS “Not Me But You” is an initiative facilitating students with the basic aim of working for the cause of poor and become a sensitive human being. Every year NSS conducts NSS Diwali Mela where different NGO’s put up their stalls in college. Last year NSS joined the largest cleanliness drive that was held in India- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. Being a part of this society helps in building one’s confidence and personality development.
- NCC- National Cadet Corps (NCC) at Jesus and Mary College (JMC) was incorporated in 1974 and has been operational since then. Its aim is to groom JMC girls into disciplined, patriotic and confident women. It conducts weekly training sessions for drill practice and March Past practice.
- JMCEP– Jesus and Mary College Educational Program is one of the compulsory societies of JMC where students interested in teaching underprivileged kids of nearby areas are welcomed to join the society. Joining this society makes the individual a good teacher and incorporates in her the qualities of a good leader.
- ENGLISH DEBATING SOCIETY– There are many events conducted by the Society each year; key events include: an annual parliamentary debating tournament, an intra- college debating competition and an inter college convention. As a student, if you like to analyze issues and put-forward your arguments and points in front of someone you should join this society.
- MUDRA– Mudra, the Western Dance society of JMC stands for vibrance, energy, passion and love for dance. Mudra shows its zeal and enthusiasm on various occasions, be it the freshers’ welcome or the college fest- Montage. Members of Mudra compete in many colleges in and outside Delhi University. Mudra was even declared the best performing team in Delhi Dance Fever 2011-2012.
- NRITYANJALI– Nrityanjali, the Indian Dance Society present various types of dance forms, throughout the year- ranging from pure classical, to semi- classical, folk and Bollywood. Anyone who is very much passionate, enthusiastic of dance is welcomed to the society.
- ECHO– ECHO the Western Music Society of the College has covered a variety of genres- be it Solo, Duet, Trio or Group.
- PHOTOGRAPHY SOCIETY– The Photography Society covers all the college events, organize workshops for its members and contribute in the best way it can. Any student who loves to capture moments is whole heartedly welcomed to be the part of the society and will surely develop on new skills and have fun.
- FILM APPRECIATION SOCIETY– This society exposes students to a rich variety of cinematic work and critical perspective on cinema. Movies are documented and screened on a regular basis. Anyone who has a keen interest in video editing, film making can be a part of this society.
- FINE ARTS SOCIETY– The society organizes a number of events and competitions throughout the year ranging from sketching, poster-making, card-making, folder-making, calligraphy, cartooning etc- in which students participate in large numbers.
- AICUF– All India Catholic University Federation inbuilt the Christian spirit of joy in working together throughout the year by means of various fun activities like prayer meetings, carnivals, music fests and inter-departmental activities.
- DASTAAN– Dastaan, the art and architecture society conducts heritage walks on every Saturday. Being a part of the society will make you re-discover history and make you much aware of the heritage sites and monuments.
Thus college societies play a very vital role in a student’s college life. Being a part of the society will make you meet new people. Being part of a society is also a very good way to build up your resume. Lastly you won’t just have a single identity of yourself. No one wants to be known merely for the course they’ve taken up in college. Thus being in any college society is fun and a joyful experience.
[author image=”http://www.aapkatimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Daniya-Tabassum.jpg” ]I am Daniya Tabassum, presently pursuing Sociology hons from Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University. I love to read and write and have a keen interest in teaching as well. [/author]