Reading Comprehension and verbal ability section in the paper pencil based Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) is one of the most important score determiners and stands at par with other sections. Out of 125 questions in IIFT, this section consists of 36 questions in MCQ format and is to be solved in suggested time limit of half an hour. IIFT is conducted every year in offline mode in November. Candidates who appear in the exam checks their IIFT Result after one week of the examination.
Verbal Ability as per IIFT Exam Pattern is the section to test the English language skills including Grammar, Vocabulary other Verbal Ability areas and Reading Comprehension passages. Difficulty level in Language Comprehension section in IIFT is not very high. The exam has moderate to difficult level questions with overall difficulty level on moderate side.
IIFT is a national level entrance test for admission to MBA/ PGDM institutes where thousands of the aspirants test their skills. It is used as admission criteria for MBA/ PGDM programmes offered by more than 400 B-schools in India.
Language Comprehension with 36 questions in IIFT carries maximum 31 raw marks out of total 100 marks with 30% weightage awarded to this section.
About IIFT Language Comprehension
In Language Comprehension section of IIFT, there are few questions on the rearrangement of sentences of a paragraph. In each question, there are four and six sentences, in jumbled form.
You are required to identify the opening sentence, the conclusion and then arrange the remaining sentences in such a manner that the entire paragraph reads in a coherent manner.
- Before you can form paragraphs, it is important to understand the gist of the paragraph. This requires one to read all the sentences carefully. Apart from practicing past years’ papers, one should study sentence construction rules in greater depth. Identifying the opening and concluding sentences are easy.
- The opening sentence is usually the sentence that introduces an idea or a concept. The last sentence will conclude what has been covered in the paragraph.
- Once the opening sentence has been identified, you should zero in on the next sentence that acts as a continuation of the idea being discussed in the paragraph. To ace this section, it is important to find links between two sentences.
Language Comprehension is a scoring and important score determiner section. Candidates who have good command over English Language including grammar, vocabulary, verbal ability and reading ability. The syllabus of this section of IIFT is as follows:
- English Usage and Sentence Correction
- English Proficiency
- Fill in the blanks
- Vocabulary Usage
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Verbal Ability
- Reading Comprehension Passages
IIFT proposes to place more synonyms and antonyms. Usually we mug up the words, their similar and opposite meanings and tend to forget. There is no need to go for it now at this juncture.
The pattern of vocabulary words asked in IIFT exam reveals that these words are moderate ones and do not belong to a tough literature. There may be some of the words whose meaning is hidden in the word itself. There may be 2 words joined in one, if you split them the meaning will be clear to you. Therefore, it is suggested to leave mugging of words now and focus on simple usage for next 2-3 days without beginning anything new. It will be much easier to decode the 4-5 vocabulary words and arrive at correct answer. This will help you to score high without any loss of marks.
Tips to Ace Language Comprehension in IIFT
To crack the Language Comprehension candidates, need to choose the right topic in the reading comprehension section and understand the main idea of the passage. If the candidate understands the concept of the passage, answering questions related to it becomes easy.
- Search for structural words like Similarly, additionally, moreover, though, however, thus etc. so as to get the right meaning of the sentence and hence the passage.
- Time Management is very important, try to manage time while reading the passage so that less time is consumed while answering the questions.
- The candidates must regularly read newspapers, books, novels, magazines to improve English proficiency and vocabulary.
- Underline the words that you don’t understand and find their meaning in the dictionary. Also look for their synonyms and antonyms.
- Practice IIFT sample papers and reading comprehensions as much as you can.
Given below are some topics which need to be practiced more questions are asked from these topics:
Preparation Books for IIFT
Language Comprehension passages in IIFT could prove to be a good source of high scoring as each passage is followed by more than one question. If you practice only today and tomorrow on moderate RC passages, Newspaper editorials, magazines carrying rich vocabulary among others source material, you can ensure high score in Language Comprehension section.
Good book is a success of every exam. If you want to crack IIFT Exam, buy books according to syllabus and written by a good writer. NCERT Textbooks of class 11th and 12th are very good for building basics for Preparation. These books will help you in IIFT preparation. But don’t forget to check the IIFT syllabus. Given below is the list of books that students can refer to for preparing for IIFT:
|Name of Book||Author’s Name||ISBN Number|
|IIFT solved papers||Disha experts||9384905011|
|10 mock test papers for IIFT||Carrier launchers||9384905011|
|Barron’s guide for IIFT||Eugene D. Jaffe||0764139932|
|IIFT Entrance guide||Deepak Aggarwal||935012582X|
|Mission MBA guide||B. S. Sijwali & Tarun Goyal||9351764591|
|IIFT entrance exam with CD||GKP||9351764591|
|Pearson IIFT super course with CD||Pearson||8131731790|
|Study package for IIFT||Arun Sharma||0070221154|
|10 challenges IIFT||Dharmendra Mittal|
|IIFT score accelerator||Disha Publications||9381250480|