ALIGARH February 7:
The Vice Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University today unveiled the plaque of Arnold House, which houses the University Proctor’s Office.AMU Vice Chancellor, Lt. Gen. Zameer Uddin Shah (Retd.), AMU Pro-Vice Chancellor, Brigadier S Ahmad Ali, Registrar Dr. Asfar Ali Khan, Dean Student’s Welfare, Prof. Anis Ismail and the University Proctor Prof. Jamshed Siddiqui, along with his team graced the ceremony.
The Arnold House was built by the Trustees of the MAO College in 19065-06 to perpetuate the memory of Professor Thomas Walker Arnold (1864-1930), who joined the MAO College in 1888 as Professor of Philosophy.Prof. Arnold, soon after his arrival at Aligarh, adopted a typical dress of Churidar Pyjama, Turban, Aangerkha and Indian shoes. He was a close friend of Allama Shibli Nomani.Professor Arnold was a man of great scholarly temperament and it was he who influenced the great Urdu poet, Dr. Sir Mohd. Iqbal during his stint at Government College, Lahore.
The Proctor’s Office was established in 1886 and Mr. Meer Wilayat Husain became the first Proctor of the MAO College, Aligarh, which later became the Aligarh Muslim University in 1920.