Savitribai Phule Pune University has announced its new rule, which states that only those students who are vegetarians and do not consume alcohol will be considered eligible for receiving gold medals as reported by the ANI. A copy of circular which was uploaded by Loksatta and Ruchi Gupta, National Incharge of NSUI on twitter shows a list of 10 qualifications for a student to be eligible for the Maharishi Keertankar Shelar Mama Gold Medal.
These are the 10 points listed as Eligibility Criteria for the Award
1) Students have to be from the Science discipline.
2) Students have to have passed 1st or 2nd Division in X, XII or Degree.
3) Students should know Indian values, culture and must also follow them.
4) Students should have participated in sports and a national/international level and also do yoga, pranayam etc.
5) Students should have a cultural talent like singing, dancing or in drama.
6) Students should be well-aware and should have participated in social and environmental empowerment and causes. Should have donated blood.
7) Students should be vegetarian and have no bad habits such as smoking, drinking etc.
8) If there is no Masters student available, a Bachelors student may be considered.
9) Students on the list must have completed these four clauses: 100, 109, 110 and 143.
10) Students should also follow clause 168, failing which, the above conditions will make no sense.
“We have 100 such awards that are handed out. This circular is put out every year but this year it created an uproar. It could be because of some misunderstanding. It is a routine process. Probably, this year someone must have been triggered for some reason,” said Arvind Shaligram,Registrar of the university to a statement given to The New Indian Express.