Elections in Gorakhpur University
After a struggle of ten years the time has come when the elections for Students’ Union is finally going to be held at Dindayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University. The decision has been taken after the withdrawal of PIL i.e. Public Interest Litigation. Prof. Ashok Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of the university has put the responsibility of these elections on the shoulders of an eminent professor of arts faculty Mr. Jitendra Tiwari.
- Pradeep Kumar a research student in 2012 had filed a Public Interest Litigation.
- But in December 2012, the court had put a stay order on it
- After four years, several attempts were being made in Lucknow High court for the withdrawal of this PIL.
- On 31 august the high court accepted this appeal.
Vice-Chancellor acted within 24 hours on this order and swiftly declared the commencement of Students’ Union election this year. The date of election is declared by the university administration on 16th September which will be finalised after the approval of the district administration.Every year the students of this university used to demand students’ union elections but the situation this time was getting worse as the peaceful agitations was taking the face of violent protests.
Code of Conduct:
- The maximum age of student at graduation level is 22years, at post-graduation level its 25 years and for research student its 28 years.
- The candidate should be a regular student of university. Students of correspondence and private are not eligible.
- Maximum amount of money to be spent on campaigning for elections are Rs 5000.
- If found violating any stated rules the authority has the right to cancel the candidate’s candidature.
- At least 75% of attendance is compulsory
- Any candidate having a criminal record, law suit or penalty against him is not eligible to contest the elections.
- A period of 10 days is sanctioned from campaigning till announcement of results
- Posters, pamphlets or any other tangibles are not allowed for campaigning.
- Also the usage of vehicles, loudspeakers and animals is prohibited for campaigning.